Off the northwest coast of Lombok, Indonesia, are three small islands called the Gili Islands. Characterized by powdery white beaches, beautiful clear blue waters and positioned perfectly for sunsets over Bali’s Mt Agung and sunrise over Lombok’s Mt Rinjani. The clear waters surrounding the islands make them a diver’s paradise. Efforts to preserve the Islands mean all forms of motorised transportation are banned, with horse carts and bicycles the chosen mode of transport.
What is the PADI Instructor Development Course (IDC)?
If you are researching becoming a PADI Instructor you are probably an accomplished diver looking to take the next rung on the ladder. The PADI Instructor Development Course (IDC) is the bedrock of PADI’s professional-level training. Becoming a PADI Instructor comprises of the following parts:
- Knowledge development
- Practical application
- The Instructor Examination
This training has several options, with an online course available from PADI. The e-learning course covers nine topics and prepares you for the practical sessions needed to complete your Assistant Instructor or Open Water Scuba Instructor course.
The online training is delivered through PADI’s eLearning® system with practical segments of the IDC, to introduced you to the complete PADI System of Diver Education. You learn to use your skills and knowledge as a professional dive educator – a PADI Assistant Instructor or Open Water Scuba Instructor.
Do I need any prior diving knowledge?
The prerequisites for embarking on IDC are the same whoever you decide to take your training with and are as follows:
Be at least 18 years old.
Be certified as a PADI Assistant Instructor, PADI Divemaster, or be an instructor with another recreational dive organization.
Be fit for diving and submit a medical form signed by a physician within the last 12 months.
Have been a certified diver for at least six months
Logged at least 60 open water dives with experience in night, deep and navigation prior to the IDC.
Logged at least 100 dives prior entering the Instructor Examination (IE).
Submit proof of CPR & First Aid training within the last 24 months.
Be ready to change your life and have some life changing experiences.
How do I choose the best company to train with?
There are several factors which you need to take into consideration before selecting a provider to train for your IDC with. Listed below are the 10 most important factors we believe are the most important ones:
- What do you want to do once you complete your courses and exams
- The experience of the Course Director
- IDC accommodation and facilities (do you need wifi access, do you have your own room?)
- What is the potential for work after you pass
- Does the Course Director offer an IDC Preparation program
- What do previous IDC students say about the IDC course and the Course Director and staff?
- If I fail my IE can I stay in resort and sit the next one.
- Are their recompression chambers nearby
- What are the medical facilities like in resort
- How does the Course Director answer your IDC Questions
Why should I choose Trawangan Dive for my IDC?
At Trawangan Dive we provide answers to the 10 most important factors above and we even go beyond that. Below are some of the reasons why Trawangan Dive is your best choice for PADI IDC in the Gili Islands:
- Holly Macleod our Course Director has over a decade of knowledge and experience to pass on to you
- You will become a well rounded instructor, capable of delivering world class training while ensuring you meet the needs of guests at the same time. This makes you highly employable and sought after.
- One trait unique to us is that you are able to gain teaching experience while you are still training by shadowing one of our qualified instructors as they take classes.
- We pride ourselves in our high levels of professionalism, exceptional training facilities and a relaxing and friendly environment.
- We go over and above the just IDC by offering extra workshops namely, Rescue, CESA, DSD, Navigation and Search and recovery
- We provide travel and visa assistance
- Our Course Director and IDC Staff Instructors are present at the instructor exam (IE) for support
- We boast one of the most beautiful dive sites on Halik Reef as our open water training site is located minutes away from the dive centre
How much does all this cost?
Training for your PADI IDC in Gili Indonesia is a priceless experience. You will receive top of the range training in a friendly and relaxing environment from some of the best divers and diving instructors out there. This experience is all about you, ensuring that you receive the best possible instruction and that you leave (some have never left, deciding to join us as staff and help develop future instructors) with the best knowledge and a worldwide network of professionals and friends.
We here at the Gili IDC run PADI Instructor Development Courses every month and are always willing to help our IDC graduates find work across Indonesia and beyond. We run a 10+ day PADI IDC schedule at a highly competitive price of €950 Euro including the EFRI Course.
We have produced a Full PDF IDC Brochure which is fully downloadable and includes everything you need to know about our PADI IDC Program. To download the IDC Brochure simply click here.
We can also be found on Facebook. If you would like to find out more about the course and see our previous students in action click here and take a look at our PADI IDC Indonesia Facebook Fan Page.
If you happen to have more questions simply click here to contact the Gili IDC Team for more information