Get ready for the ride of your life
We ensure that the PADI Instructor Development Course (IDC) at Trawangan Dive gives you more than just an instructor certification. We focus on helping you to develop the knowledge, skills and confidence you will use in your career as a PADI Instructor.
Learning to teach diving is a bit like learning to drive a car. Passing your driving test does not necessarily mean that you have the skills, experience and confidence to be a good driver. It’s the same with diving. Our IDC is more than just a way to get your instructor certification!
Benefits of a Trawangan Dive IDC
- You’ll benefit directly from the real-world diving industry experience of our Multi Award Winning PADI Course Director Holly Macleod. She has over a decade of experience as a PADI Instructor in Indonesia, Thailand, Malaysia, Australia, The Philippines and The Caribbean. Her background means that she has experienced many of the situations an Instructor can expect to meet. She will show you how to apply what you learn and how to successfully handle the challenges instructors face every day.
- You’ll become highly employable, worldwide. Dive centres seek instructors who know how to balance the needs of guests, colleagues and management, and who can deliver high-quality courses, sell and promote diving. Holly will help you to develop and apply the skills that make you more attractive to employers.
- You’ll gain teaching experience, by shadowing one of our staff teaching a PADI course. You see for yourself the practicalities of running a course, and make a smooth transition to teaching students of your own.
- You’ll benefit from Trawangan Dive’s IDC Staff instructors who will assist, advise and support you. They are ready to share with you their experiences of working in diving, and the challenges and rewards of being an instructor.
- You’ll enjoy the same high level of professionalism, high-quality facilities and friendly atmosphere that we offer to everyone diving with us.
Some more reasons to choose us
- We are a PADI 5 star IDC dive resort on Gili Trawangan with full-time PADI Course Director’s running regular IDCs.
- Our Course Director, Holly Macleod, has enviable 100% pass rate.
- Our modern IDC facilities include an air-conditioned classroom with up-to-date materials, large visual aids, DVD players and interactive teaching aids. Our swimming pool meets all of the requirements for teaching PADI courses. We also have all the materials you need to conduct successful teaching presentations such as descent lines, lift bags, first aid mannequins and oxygen kits.
- Rental of all diving equipment is included. 5% off equipment purchases for IDC candidates.
- Our open water training site is located minutes away from the dive centre on Halik and Hans Reef, one of our most beautiful dive sites.
- Extra workshops included, such as a Rescue workshop, Ascents/Descents workshop, CESA workshop, DSD workshop, Navigation workshop and Search and Recovery workshop.
- Emergency First Response Instructor is included.
- Course Director and IDC Staff Instructors are present at the Instructor Examination for support.
- Lunch is included.
- Free wireless internet access is available.
- Travel and visa assistance provided.
To join an IDC, you should:
- Hold a PADI Divemaster or Assistant Instructor qualification with current membership of PADI, or an equivalent leadership level certification with another training organization
- Have proof of 60 logged dives
- Have medical clearance of fitness to dive, signed by a doctor within the past 12 months
- Hold proof of first aid/cardio-pulmonary resuscitation training within the last 24 months
- Have been a certified diver (Open Water Diver course or equivalent) for at least six months
- Be at least 18 years old
To join an IE, in addition to the above you must have proof of a minimum of 100 logged dives, and have successfully completed the IDC.
How to prepare
By preparing thoroughly in advance, you will benefit most from your IDC, and avoid feeling overloaded. Before starting the IDC, we recommend that you:
- Purchase all required materials
- Familiarise yourself with the PADI Instructor Manual and the Guide to Teaching
- Revise the five theory topics (Physics, Physiology, Equipment, Dive Skills and the Environment, Recreational Dive Planner), using the Encyclopedia of Recreational Diving and Diving Knowledge Workbook, or enroll online for Dive Theory eLearning
- Make sure you have the latest version of the PADI Instructor Manual or update yours with the latest Training Bulletins
- Review the 24 skills you practiced during your PADI Divemaster course
- Practice the ‘Unconscious Diver at the Surface’ exercise from your PADI Rescue Diver course.
- PADI Instructor Manual (paper or digital version)
- Guide to Teaching with hologram
- Specialty Instructor Manual CD-ROM
- Open Water Diver cue cards (confined water)
- Open Water Diver cue cards (open water)
- Confined water lesson preparation slate
- Open water lesson preparation slate
- Adventures in Diving cue cards
- Rescue Diver cue cards
- Divemaster cue cards (included in your Divemaster Crew Pak)
- Discover Scuba Diving cue cards (included in your Divemaster Crew Pak)
- Instructor for Divemaster cue cards
- Open Water Diver quizzes and exams
- Rescue Diver final exams
- Divemaster final exams
- Encyclopedia of Recreational Diving (included in your Divemaster Crew Pak)
- Diving Knowledge Workbook
- eRDPml and RDP (table version) with instructions for use booklet
- Manuals from Open Water to Divemaster
- How to use and choose dive computers
|Instructor Development Course||Instructor Examination|
|Dates are subject to change and should be confirmed with Trawangan Dive
|16 Jan-28 Jan||29 Jan-30 Jan|
|20 Feb-4 Mar||5 Mar-6 Mar|
|27 Mar-8 Apr||9 Apr-10 Apr|
|2 May-14 May||15 May-16 May|
|29 May-10 Jun||11 Jun-12 Jun|
|10 Jul-22 Jul||23 Jul-24 Jul|
|14 Aug-26 Aug||27 Aug-28 Aug|
|11 Sep-23 Sep||24 Sep-25 Sep|
|23 Oct-4 Nov||5 Nov-6 Nov|
|27 Nov-9 Dec||10 Dec-11 Dec|
Upon successful completion of your IDC, you will attend a PADI Instructor Examination (IE), a three day evaluation program which will give you the opportunity to demonstrate what you have learnt.
During the IE, a PADI Instructor Examiner independently and objectively assesses your knowledge and skills, testing everything from dive theory to PADI training standards.
PADI is the only certification organization that requires an objective, independent examination to qualify as a professional instructor. This balanced and consistent evaluation process is one of the hallmarks that make PADI professionals the most demanded and respected instructors in the dive industry.
Provisions may be made during written examinations for instructor candidates with learning disabilities and for those who must take the exam in another language. If you have any special needs, please let us know.
Check out our PADI IDC Indonesia Video
More PADI IDC Videos from the Gili Islands